Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, October 15, 2012

Kaarel Eerik's travel review



This old topic? ... I thought as I had told about my trip numerous times, nobody would ask me to tell about it again...I guess I was wrong. But what a heck, I will tell my story once again. 

It all happened a long time ago when I went via Tallinn and Latvia to Turkey.  .... Or actually .... at least I thought I was going. I couldn't predict there would be fog in Latvia, therefore our noob captain decided not to land there. We landed in Lithuania instead, quite far from where we were suppoused to be. But let it be, eventually we still reached Riga. The bad thing was we had missed our next flight.  People have asked me what did we do next and my answer has always been the same - we waited. Seven hours and a bit more we were in that airport, 6 of those hours we had to stand on our feet! Anyway, somehow we managed to finish our day in a hotel which we didn't have to pay for, but as an Estonian  saying goes there can't be a free lunch in this world, so we didn't get any food there, we had to go and buy something. Additionally to the food issue, tap water was light brown and we didn't like it at all. The beds, however, were rather comfortable and it was possible to sleep there. In the morning we were given some breakfast and so we were back to this bloody airport which we still remembered too well from our previous day. We had breakfast at the airport and at last said good-bye to this place as were were heading to Munich, in Germany. We were in a hurry there and eventually boarded another flight. By the way,  our luggage, which we had lost at Riga Airport, was said to have been found in Germany, so our mood was better than before. 

The plane took off and we were flying towards Istanbul. It was so hot in Istanbul, even the hottest days in Estonian summer are cooler than that. Perhaps it is worth mentioning that on that day I happened to be dressed in black, wear long jeans and tight shoes, so it wasn't the best outfit for such weather. So I felt dirty, stinky and sweaty.  Ok, enough talking about hygiene (Editor: as if anybody finds it interesting) and let's go back to Istanbul. We didn't stay there long, perhaps an hour or an hour and a half, then we continued flying. This flight took us to Nevşehir. When we had landed, we were welcomed by a small place compared to all previous airports. Our hosts were waiting for us there and it took just little bit when we were already driving towards the town. I guess it is fair to say that before this trip I didn't think of Turkey in a too positive way, but my feelings about this country weren't bad either. In that hotel when I listened to others speaking, one word was pleasing me especially much - restaurant. Everybody knows that restaurant=food table=food. At last there was something I enjoy in Estonia as well - eating! I guess it was Thursday and I really couldn't be bothered what my classmates had eaten on that day at Kehtna canteen, I had a soup and a main course for my dinner. At school we don't get both. Dishes were good, just the soup wasn't to my liking as it was too sour. I had a challenge to eat a green pepper wholly and its strong taste made it my enemy. At least half an hour after swallowing my mouth was still burning. So I remembered its look and shape and colour for not to eat it again, ever. Anyway, for a main course we had BBQ meat and kebab which both were delicious. As for dessert we had three options: rice pudding, a type of a cake and a third thing which I can't recall and I don't think I will. I chose the rice pudding, as  any normal man would.  All dishes eaten, all drinks being drunk, all talks spoken, we went together with our hosting teachers and students to their homes and met their families. So every family had also one student, but they were very quiet and didn't understand English very well. My family was good at English and we spoke about a few hours and then I went to sleep.

Oh, I made  a new paragraph now. What am I going to tell now? OK, back to the trip. The next morning we went to that hotel, picked up the teachers and other students and went to see an underground city. There were 7 storeys all together under the ground, we were allowed to see 3 of them. One floor was 50 metres deep. I, as a handsome, sexy, smart, sporty and tall Estonian guy (editor: lol), barely managed to be in those caves and had to keep my back humped all the time. When at last we got out of there and I could stretch my attractive body and legs (editor: lmao), we went somewhere else but where to? Can't really remember, you have to read other persons' travel stories. Anyway, after that place we went to do my favourite thing - eating. Again a soup and a main course were served, for dessert there were dried plums and figs. It was fun there. When we  were back in the host family, we talked about the day, but I was mostly silent because already then I couldn't remember what we had done during the day. We had some refreshments and then went to bed. The next day we skipped having breakfast, but a ride on a hot air balloon was worth not having any food before. We had breakfast afterwards. Then we visited a town which name I don't remember, but it was great to walk on those slopy streets. In the evening I talked about my day in my family and we ate sweets, nuts, grapes and etc. If I remember correctly, which I haven't done much lately, we spent our Saturday in a canyon and in the evening all students had dinner in their host families. We visited Mustafa's (my host's) parents where we had a very good meal and we had a conversation that cheered me. After visiting his parents, we went back to Mustafa's flat, ate nuts, tried water pipe and talked about life and world.
 I liked my hosting family very much, we had interesting conversations and fun there. No matter how pitty it was, this evening was my last one in this family and next morning we took a plane back to Istanbul. We had a bit of juggle with suitcases around the town until we managed to find a left-luggage room. Then we went sightseeing and just strolled around the centre of the town. We stayed at Holiday Inn hotel and  most of all I liked its  bed and the breakfast, too. I had lots of it. After breakfast we took a bus to the airport and flew back to Estonia. Our return flight was much more in schedule. To sum up, my overall impression of Turkey is very good now, people are friendly and helpful, climate is warm and food is good - what else can you expect! I know what Sten might add - men. Turkish men patted his blonde head all the time. (editor: a few times)

When you still wish to know something more in details you have to read somebody else's version. And it better be the last time I have to tell it from scratch again. I don't think anybody really bothers to listen, you just want me to talk. Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Partner schools

ESTONIA: Kehtna Primary School is situated in the village of 1,200. There are no big towns nearby, although the capital Tallinn is just 60km to the north. We are surrounded by forests, bogs, farmland and therefore paying extra attention to nature studies and the environment is important to us. We are a school of the Green Flag and a Health-Concious school. There are 155 students and 20 teachers in our school. Students are aged 7-17.

ITALY: Liceo Classico "Megara" con sezione scientifica annessa is a secondary school for students aged 14-19. It mainly offers three different courses for classical, scientific and social science studies. The school mainly serves students from Augusta. Our school is located in a very important area for its nature, history, archaeology and tourism. Our suburban town of Augusta is very near to Siracusa, one of the oldest and most important Greek colonies in Sicily. Our students are all members of "Legambiente" which is a national leading environmental organization which offers educational programs in schools. We live by the sea and our area is very rich in waterways, rivers and ponds.

FRANCE: College Claude Bernard is in a suburban city (Grand-Quevilly) with about 30,000 inhabitants. A town with 400,000 people called Rouen is near to us. The area has little industry nowadays following the closure of the chemical factories and the Renault car plant.

TURKEY: Tepeköy Ilkögretim Okulu is a public school serving children aged 7-15, starting from pre-school till the 8th grade. It is a rural school and caters for 226 students and 18 teachers. Our school is in Nevsehir (Cappadocia Region), being situated in agricultural region. Our region does not have sufficient water resources and we need to focus on environmentally-friendly options.

SPAIN: IES Concepcion Arenal is a secondary education centre located in Ferrol, a town with 70,000 inhabitants in the region of Galicia (north-west of Spain). There are 85 teachers and 700 students in compulsory (12-16 years old), post-compulsory (16-18 years) part and in vocational training.