Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Kelly's travel review

        Before the trip I had done some google search and read through a book "My Sicily". The book gave me a positive impression and I have to admit the impression remained later too because of  friendly people, nice weather, high temperature, terrible traffic and a bit dirty streets. When there was a rubbish bin, it was flowing over and surrounded by more rubbish. For me it remained the only thing that I didn't like about Sicily.  
        But now back to the beginning. It was Tuesday, 8 May. The weather was fine in the morning, typically Estonia-like - chilly. Before we set off, we made sure there weren't any liquids in our hand luggage. We departed at 8.30am in a good mood, though after half an hour everybody was sitting quietly headphones on. Morning sleepiness that was. After we had arrived at Tallinn Airport we had to wait a bit and then we could go through security. There our misfortune began. First a shampoo and sunscreen lotion were confiscated from Marten's suitcase and he had to throw them away. In addition later it was said that Anu's suitcase exceeded the allowed measurements  by a few centimetres and she had to pay €50. Around 11am boarding started. Our first flight was by Ryanair. It was my first flight ever, so it was quite exciting. I liked the take off and landing because then I could clearly see the skyline, even cars driving on roads. It was unusual, but very cool. I especially liked one of the stewards on that first Ryanair flight who looked like Edward and Harry Potter's lovechild.
        After a three-hour flight we arrived at Milan Airport where we could look around and do some shopping. We continued by WindJet. Its aircraft was quite old, luckily it didn't crash. Some of us complained of popping ears, but mine didn't. On our flight to Catania we could see Etna from the window. We had planned to climb on it the next day. Slowly I started to realise we were really going to Sicily. The weather was nicely warm in Catania. First I noticed palm trees. 
        At the airport we took a bus for going to the hostel. On our way two men sold strawberries, so we bought the whole tray. In Estonia it probably takes  one month  more to get strawberries. By pulling our heavy suitcases we moved on in old town. Most of the time the  cobbled pavement was terrible for pulling suitcases on small wheels. Eventually we reached the hostel. Its interor was alright, but it didn't have a kettle, so we couldn't eat those instant noodles Maarja-Liis had brought. We got a room and chose a bed, ate some strawberries, got changed and went for a stroll outside. I enjoyed the late evening's atmosphere, even though project leader Sara had told the town wasn't too safe. We bought ice cream which was very tasty. Anu bought a big pannini and gave us a taste. So Maarja-Liis and I decided to buy one too, but we had to choose a different pannini. Let's just say it wasn't very good. It had a sort of Italian ham and green leaves that looked and tasted like dandelions. Rating 1/10. After our snacks we walked a bit more, took some photos and headed back to the hotel. By midnight everybody was asleep. 
        Next morning we had an early start. We had a croissant  and a glass of milk for breakfast. We put on our hiking outfit and walked all the way back to the railway station to leave our luggage in left-luggage room. We took a bus first. It was a two-hour ride. After 10 minutes I fstarted to feel sick. Fortunately the bus made a stop half way when I could rush outside to throw up. Marten commented it afterwards, "She vomitted like a professional, not a single drop missed the bag." The views to Etna were stunning. When we got off the bus, I felt strange at first. My coordination was weird because the ground wasn't smooth.
         For the first leg of the ascend we used the cable car because it was said to be the  dullest  part of the hike. Views from there were beautiful and although the ride was short, it was interesting. After getting off the cable car we continued walking on the road that is used by jeep-buses. It would have been possible to  go up  and come down all the way by transport, but its price was also quite much. There were magnificent views everywhere and we also saw a fair share of snow, something we had just got rid of in Estonia. Despite snow it was not very chilly, alright to wear just a hoodie. At the beginning of our route we climbed on top of a crater which seemed to be an active one because it erupted warm air and smoke. Looking down from there made people look as small as ants. Next four hours were spent on discovering the landscape there. Etna doesn't consist of just one volcano, but it is more similar to a mountain range. Descending was a tricky part, at times. Eventually I just slid down on my bottom because my knees were stiff. I felt tired, but got over from my tiredness and continued. Anu's, Edda's and my footwear were very ruined and we threw them away at the airport. 
      When we had finished walking at Etna, we drove back to Catania Airpoirt by bus and waited for the arrival of the Turkish and Spanish group. We had quite a while to wait. First  we used the aiport toilet to get a bit more civilised look, then I read a book "Rehepapp" and we also rehearsed our presentation texts and looked around shops and cafes. 
      Late in the evening when the other groups were about to arrive, I was pretty exhausted and wanted to get washed. Fortunately it took only a bit more until we started moving and arrived in Augusta. 
      I was welcomed by a girl named Martina, her mother and by one of her friends. At first it was a bit difficult to understand their English because they pronounce words with an Italian accent, as if singing. They took me to their home by car and I could see how beautiful the town was in night lights. On our way Martina asked what I wanted for breakfast and I said I preferred cereals with milk. So every morning I had cereals with milk, Nutella on toast and freshly squeezed orange juice.
       When we had reached their home it reminded me what Diana had said about her trip to Spain - everybody wore shoes indoors. So I was given too a pair of pink slippers as nobody seemed to walk barefeet or in socks. Their home was very nice,  a private house with 2 bathrooms, one of them had also jacuzzi. I shared the bedroom with Martina.
      The first morning we were the last ones to arrive at school. On the following mornings I woke up earlier than Martina because similarly to me she seemed to have a habit of being late too. I can't function very fast and well early in the morning, so I needed more time than her for getting ready.
      First we had a computer class where the teacher was absent and substituted by a Norwegian exchange student. She organized a game where everybody could introduce herself. Later the Turkish, Spanish and Estonian students told a few more things about their country and traditions. After that we were served Sicilian breakfast which consisted of a big bun and flavoured ice. I was also taught how to eat it properly by taking small pieces and dipping it in granite. It was actually quite delicious, though a bit too sweet for my palate.
      Then our presentations begun. We were first. I think we did quite well,  although everybody was obviously quite nervous. After us the Spanish, French, Turkish and Italian students performed. I found their speaking difficult to understand, but fortunately basically they told the same thing as was written on  their slides.
      Thursday continued with birdwatching, however I didn't see any birds. We saw ex-saltern lakes and orange tree plantations. I took an orange. It was very delicious and juicy. Next we were taken to see catacombs. I stepped into cow's poo. I couldn't understand how a cow had climbed up that little hill, gone through the small narrow entrance of the cave and made poo there. I guess it remains as one of the mysteries. I couldn't see much in the caves but we took photos and saw the scenery in our photos. 
        Then it was time to go home. We got washed, changed and went out. At first I didn't understand where we were going to. So it turned out we headed to the house where Hans-Martty's host lived. As of Estonians only Anu, I and Hans-Martty were there, but he went straight to sleep. The others spoke Italian, so Anu and I had our own jokes and talk. Later we started  tplaying  Italian games and it was quite fun once we had understood the rules. Around midnight we reached home again and went quickly to sleep.  
       On the second day I wore shorts as I was more aware how warm a day can be there. We started our day again at school. This time were took part in Italian lesson.. We spoke about our school and school system there. Then we were shown short films  created by  Italian students. The last film was about the history of Augusta. They were nicely cast, but a bit "soap opera" like. Then we had a welcome-show which was held by Italian students. I found it great. Most of all I enjoyed the band where 4 guys perfomed classic rock songs which were familiar songs to me too. It was cool to listen to their live performance. Then it was time for lunch. First we were served pasta, then roast potatoes with meat rolls. It was my favourite dish. As for a dessert we had a slice of blue Comenius tart which made my teeth blue too. After lunch we had another  walking tour. We could be by the sea. It was very interesting there - the shore wasn't sandy, but rocky instead and had lots of  interesting plants, some of them looked like moss. We were warned not to step on sea urchins.  Views were stunning: clean blue water, powerful Etna in the background. You can't really catch such magnificent view with camera lenses.
      We continued walking and made a stop at an ice cream cafe. When it was getting  dark we went to a pizzeria. We could have 4 slices of different pizzas. I managed to eat only the first slice. It wasn't probably the best because it was very simple, had only tomato paste and cheese. When looking at Italians I liked the way they ate so slowly, not like in Estonia. It was a social activity as a lunch or dinner can take several hours.
      Our host parents came to pick us up and we fell asleep quite quickly because the next day we  had a long day in Siracusa.
       In the morning I woke up early, got washed, had breakfast and filled bottles with water because previous days proved we had drank quite a lot of water. We went to Siracusa by bus. It is the biggest Greek colony in Sicily. Luckily I didn't get sick on the bus. It was very hot already in the morning. In Siracusa we saw an amphitheatre which looked a bit  cheesy in my opinion because they had covered the original rows with wood. In summer every day there are performances of Greek tragedies and comedies translated into Italian language. We also visited a high cave where our voices echoed and it was nicely chilly. We were told a legend about it. It is called the Ear of Dionysus because according to the legend tyrannt Dionysus kept his prisoners in that cave where even the slightest whisper got echoed.
      In the afternoon we  went boating on the River Ciane. It was fun, we splashed each other with water and just enjoyed the views. By the river we could see papyrus plants that do not grow naturally elsewhere than there and in Egypt. After the boat trip we had lunch in a fish restaurant. I wasn't too excited about it because I do not eat fish, but the food was good. First course was again pasta and local students taught us how to eat spaghetti properly by twirling them around fork. We also learned the Italian words for all tableware. Chicken had a sort of breadcrums batter and was deep-fried. It seemed to be a typical Sicilian way to cook chicken as I had had  it sbefore too. I also ate Anu's portion of fries. For a dessert we had waffles that had sweet  mousse inside.  For me again a bit too sweet, but that's the essence of a dessert, isn't it?
     When we were full, we had another excursion where we were shown Jewish baths.  It was an interesting excursion. Those were underground baths, the steps were slippery and we had to be careful. The air was moist and chilly there, but what we saw was great. The baths seemed to have been carved into rock and they had fresh flowing water where Jewish women  used to bathe on special occasions, for example before getting married or after childbirth. They had to go under water also when somebody had touched a dead person in order to get purified.
      We had some free time in Siracusa old town and we also visited a cathedral there. Unfortunately Maarja-Liis and I were told to leave because we were wearing shorts. I don't understand it because under Christian understanding we are all the children of God, there's nothing to be ashamed  of. Later we decided not to enter another church and had an ice cream instead. Italian ice cream is really something, it has so many different flavours. My favourite was pistachio because I like everything that has pistachio flavour. We had some more free time to stroll around the town, to see its sunset which was made me feel  really being at home. Just then when I had got used to the noisy life and Sicilian people, I realised that soon it was time to leave for Estonia. It made me sad a bit. Anu obviously had the same feeling in multiplied dozes as she was crying in the evening. When we were back at Martina's home I told her that I didn't wish to go outside and we watched TV with her parents - it was so cosy. I went to sleep around midnight. In Sicily I fell asleep very fast all the time as if being struck by a hammer - obviously because every day had been full of activities and something new.
        Last morning I had to hurry and pack my things. First I said farewell to my host mother. She was a really great person. We hugged and then it was time to go. In the car I gave last glimpses at the town, I tried to memorize everything. We were almost the last ones to get to the departure place. Some more hugs and it was time to say good-bye to Martina and her father.When  I stepped into the bus I was holding back my tears. I waved to all the Italians who had came to see us off. I had to ask Anu for a hankie, but pulled myself together after a while. Anu had a different story.  Maarja-Liis  seemed indifferent to me and most likely wished to be back in Estonia. We were together with the Spanish and Turkish team on the bus and said farewell at the airport. On our return journey nothing really remarkable happened. We had a lot of time in Milan Airport, we did some shopping there. At 9pm we landed in Tallinn and by 10 we were at Kehtna. I arrived home, put my suitcase on the floor, sat on my bed and realised that the next day it  would be a regular school day, back to my routine. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who the lovely lady in the pic is, but I would like to tour Europe with her. I have been injected and tortured in the USA. Knocked unconscious once and I may not have long to live. A war is waging in America. We lost I think, all of us, in the 1960's.

    I was knocked unconscious with forced injections in 2004 in Flagstaff Arizona while seeking medical care. I am horrified of USA healthcare now because many will take bribes to say some people are insane and they will rob and torture you.

    My name is Kurt Brown -- Saint Ram Bone, and my website is found by Google search, Mobile Audit Club

    ReplyDelete

Partner schools

ESTONIA: Kehtna Primary School is situated in the village of 1,200. There are no big towns nearby, although the capital Tallinn is just 60km to the north. We are surrounded by forests, bogs, farmland and therefore paying extra attention to nature studies and the environment is important to us. We are a school of the Green Flag and a Health-Concious school. There are 155 students and 20 teachers in our school. Students are aged 7-17.

ITALY: Liceo Classico "Megara" con sezione scientifica annessa is a secondary school for students aged 14-19. It mainly offers three different courses for classical, scientific and social science studies. The school mainly serves students from Augusta. Our school is located in a very important area for its nature, history, archaeology and tourism. Our suburban town of Augusta is very near to Siracusa, one of the oldest and most important Greek colonies in Sicily. Our students are all members of "Legambiente" which is a national leading environmental organization which offers educational programs in schools. We live by the sea and our area is very rich in waterways, rivers and ponds.

FRANCE: College Claude Bernard is in a suburban city (Grand-Quevilly) with about 30,000 inhabitants. A town with 400,000 people called Rouen is near to us. The area has little industry nowadays following the closure of the chemical factories and the Renault car plant.

TURKEY: Tepeköy Ilkögretim Okulu is a public school serving children aged 7-15, starting from pre-school till the 8th grade. It is a rural school and caters for 226 students and 18 teachers. Our school is in Nevsehir (Cappadocia Region), being situated in agricultural region. Our region does not have sufficient water resources and we need to focus on environmentally-friendly options.

SPAIN: IES Concepcion Arenal is a secondary education centre located in Ferrol, a town with 70,000 inhabitants in the region of Galicia (north-west of Spain). There are 85 teachers and 700 students in compulsory (12-16 years old), post-compulsory (16-18 years) part and in vocational training.